Kritikos is a visual media search engine for Engineering students. It was initially developed by ENGrich, a JISC-funded programme running from November 2011 to January 2013. It aims to design, develop and evaluate a customised search engine for visual media relevant to Engineering education. Media types will include images, video, presentations and Flash content.
The project will deliver the following outputs.
- A dedicated web-service with visual gallery of thumbnail representations of the ENGrich digital content; providing merged metadata, links, input GUI (for community to apply their evaluation) and other utility code (such as share and embed).
- Community of active contributors/reviewers, comprising students (undergraduate, postgraduate, international) and academics from the Engineering disciplines.
- A portable ‘widget’ version of the enhanced ENGrich search facility that will be used by the community in their own teaching and learning platforms.
- The enriched metadata, and paradata, which includes usage data, feedback, rankings, likes, that was acquired, with subject community input through the ENGrich service, in a sharable and interoperable format. The reusable open metadata is fully compliant with the Discovery Open Metadata Principles
- Reports and dissemination practices that will be of relevant to JISC-related communities.